Beginner 0 to 1: Part 1 - How do I choose the right nail drill speed and bits?
12 Likes BookmarkShare8 Comments
#beginner021

Beginners often struggle with selecting the correct drill speed, bit types, and safety tips for using a drill on natural nails.

Hi everyone, this is Aniyah. I’ll be starting a column aimed at helping beginners make their first steps from 0 to 1. You can easily find my content by searching the hashtag #beginner021. I hope you find my posts helpful, and I’d love to hear your feedback or any advice you may have! ✨

As a nail newbie, you might struggle with selecting the correct drill speed, bit types, and safety tips for using a drill on natural nails. I still remember when I first got my nail drill and tried to use it on my natural nails. I started with a very low speed—around 3,000 RPM—and focused on filing my hangnails. I was hesitant to touch my cuticles or nail plate for fear of hurting myself.💅

I know how challenging it can be at the beginning when learning to master the nail drill. Here, I’d like to share some tips to help you along the way.

1. How to Choose the Correct Drill Speed?

It really depends on the task, but I recommend starting with a low speed if you're not familiar with it. I've created a handy table for your reference. In general, the closer you are to your natural nails or skin, the lower the speed you should use.

2. How to Choose the Proper Nail Drill Bit?

Nail drill bits come in different materials and shapes, which affect efficiency and user experience. For example, ceramic material is fantastic for fragile nails because they don’t heat up easily and help avoid metal allergies. Each nail drill typically comes with six basic bits, each serving a different purpose, shown as the picture below.

• For Ball and Cone shape, they are generally used for cuticle work;
  • For Barrel shape, including sanding bands, they are used for surface work mostly.

3. Safety Tips:

• Keep your hands steady and maintain a light touch to avoid excessive pressure.
  • Regularly clean your bits to ensure they work effectively and to prevent buildup.

Practice makes perfect! Don’t be discouraged by initial challenges; every expert was once a beginner.

Remember, it’s all about finding what works best for you and your nails.💖 Share your progress and any questions you have in the comments—I’d love to help and cheer you on as you embark on your nail journey!

#beginner021

Sort:
2 days ago
Hey Aniyah! 🙌🏾 Love that you’re starting this column for us beginners!
5 hr ago
Thank you.

2 days ago
Helps a lot! Ty!

2 days ago
Thanks for sharing!💖
5 hr ago
💖💖💖

3 days ago
As a newbie, I really need all of this!!!

Thanks for sharing these awesome tips for beginners. When I first started using a nail drill, I found that experimenting with different speeds was key. I usually start slow, around 5,000 RPM, and gradually increase as I get more comfortable. For bits, I love using ceramic ones for their smooth finish and minimal heat. Keeping a steady hand and light touch really makes a difference. Looking forward to more of your insights! 💅✨
5 hr ago
Thank you for sharing your experience!